Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Paying For Pre Trip Expenses One mans Junk ..........................

Paying For Pre Trip Expenses

In my quest for minimalism and the need to pay for Pre-trip expenses I set about selling everything that would not fit in my backpack.

First thing I realised is no matter how much money you have spent on things;
You will-  "I repeat" You Will Never get anywhere near that money back.  

If you are so lucky to receive 30 - 40% of your purchase prices then count your lucky stars as many folk before have struggled at 25%.


I spent a year selling motorcycles for Harley Davidson so I know are thing or two about buying and selling but in this climate getting people to fork out cash is  ever illusive.


By using various Internet Forums, Local Papers and Ebay I managed to shift all that unnecessary clutter that had been clogging up my life - at a cost of around $200 worth of advertising the results are as follows.


The small things count .........................

Kitesurfing Gear                     $700

Old Car Bits & Pieces            $1600

Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop         $500

Motocross Gear                      $800

DVDS & Ipods                       $400

TOTALS                                 $4400



The Big things hurt the most....................

The Big Items were the hardest to sell both mentally and physically. I am not going to state prices hear just give you guys an idea of the money loss associated with each item

By far the most Liberating experience of my life so far was the offloading of the following items.

The old line rings true that; "you never truly own your possessions - they own you".


 
Nissan Skyline  R32 GTR  (taking 9 months to sell)     
 Sold at 50% of purchase/build price

 
Yamaha R1   (taking 8 months to sell)  
 I actually managed to sell at  100% of purchase price - yay for me -

 
KTM 250SX   (taking 6 months to sell)  
 Sold at 65% of purchase price


 
Conclusion:

If you are in a hurry don't expect to be so lucky - I was fortunate enough to have a year up my sleeve to get rid of my larger items.

I feel a massive load has been lifted from my shoulders and a huge space has been opened ................
















No comments:

Post a Comment